About the Amazing Technology Behind Vapor Cigarette Batteries
Learn more about lithium-ion batteries and the invaluable role they play in e-smoking and modern life in general
Most vapor cigarettes on the market (including EverSmoke) power their equipment via a lithium-ion battery. These lightweight and powerful batteries are constructed of lithium and carbon materials.
Vapor cigarette batteries are available in two different type switches: an automatic or manual. Find more information about these different switches by reading Automatic vs. Manual – Choosing the Right Way to Power your E-Cigarette. In addition, this information can help users choose which EverSmoke battery works best for them.
History of Lithium-ion Batteries
The lithium-ion battery was introduced in 1997. Rather than using a liquid solvent to conduct an electric charge as older batteries did, lithium-ion batteries use a solid polymer composite. In addition to the lithium-ion battery using solid polymer composite, the electrodes and separators that generate the charge are laminated to each other. This allows the battery to be encased in a flexible wrapping rather than a metal casing, thus allowing the battery to be shaped for a specific device.
Uses for Lithium-ion Batteries
Lithium-ion batteries are used in many of the devices we commonly see today. Examples include:
- Portable devices including mobile and smartphones, laptops and tablets, digital cameras and camcorders, handheld game consoles and flashlights
- Power tools including cordless drills, sanders, saws and hedge trimmers
- Electric vehicles including everything from hybrid vehicles to advanced electric wheelchairs, from radio-controlled models and model aircraft to the Mars Curiosity rover.
What is the mAh all About?
You may notice a measurement called mAh in the specs when you purchase a vapor cigarette (or a spare battery), but what does mAh mean for your battery?
MAh is short for milliampere-hour and it describes the total charge capacity of a battery. Once you know the number of amps that your battery and atomizer/cartomizer draw, you can calculate the actual usage of your battery. For example, a 2.5 ohm atomizer and a 3.7 volt battery (you will find that most vapor cigarettes fit these measurements) will draw, on average, 1.48 amps.
Using the battery life calculator, you can then approximate how long your e-cig can last between charges.
By this extent, the smaller the battery your vapor cigarette has, the lower the mAh will be. This also means that you will have to recharge your battery more often.
Advantages of Lithium-ion batteries
In recent years battery, technology has advanced passed the older style nickel-metal hydride battery (NiMH) that was the industry standard for many years. Advancement in battery technology has made batteries more reliable and capable of powering devices longer. In addition, lithium-ion batteries have additional advantages, including:
- Lithium-ion batteries tend to be much lighter than other batteries of the same size.
- Since lithium is a highly reactive element, lithium-ion batteries hold a lot of stored energy.
- The above factors combine to create a very high energy density for lithium-ion batteries.
- They hold their charge.
- Lithium-ion batteries lose only about 5 percent of its charge per month compared to a 20 percent loss per month for older battery technology.
- They have no memory effect meaning you do not have to full discharge them before recharging.
- Lithium-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles.
Disadvantages of Lithium-ion batteries
- Lithium-ion batteries start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will last between two and three years from the date of manufacture whether used or not.
- Keep away from high temperatures–lithium-ion batteries are highly sensitive to heat which causes them to degrade much faster than they normally would. Although very rare, a lithium-ion battery can explode under extreme heat conditions.
- Completely discharging a lithium-ion battery ruins them.
- Lithium-ion battery packs are expensive due to the fact that they must have an on-board computer to manage the battery.
In The End...Vaper's ChoiceThe battery choice really depends on personal preference. If you want a more authentic "smoking" experience without having to remember to press a button, then purchasing an automatic battery is probably the better choice. However, if you want to inhale a thicker, more potent vapor, then a manual battery is the only way to achieve this. Check out our article on auto vs. manual batteries for more.
If you'd like to learn more about vapor cigarettes and e-smoking, we invite you to browse our blog and knowledge center, or click here if you've decided to give this exciting alternative a try.
And if you're looking for replacement batteries for your device, click on over to our accessories page.